Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Robert McCammon’s “The Five”…


…is an amazing novel by one of my favorite authors. It reminds me a lot of “Gone South,” my previous favorite novel by him.  Along with King, and the twosome of John Skipp & Craig Spector, McCammon is one of the three eighties/early 90s horror writers that most influenced my own fiction. “The Five” is a beautiful meditation on compassion, loss, music and the people who pursue music as a living long after the chances of them making a living at it have passed them by.

I could say a lot about it, even if the book says most of those things itself, only better.

Unfortunately, all those good things are overshadowed in my mind by one burning question.

WHY THE FUCK DOES THE BASS PLAYER ALWAYS HAVE TO DIE FIRST?

No comments:

Post a Comment